Just One Day (Just One Day, #1)

Just One Day  - Gayle Forman, Kathleen McInerney Wow. I was really worried about this one. I've read If I Stay and Where She Went and loved them both. And I'd heard so many great things about this one that I didn't hesitate in starting it when I got it. But then as the book went on, I reallly started to hate Allyson. To start off with, she was in Europe on a trip with her best friend paid for by her parents and she was complaining about the trip? I let it go a little because I know teenagers can be annoying. Then she met Willem and the romance and the day in Paris was pretty great. Her behavior still wasn't my favorite, but oh well. Then when she gets back she's almost unbearable. I don't know how everyone else in teh book put up with her for so long. I seriously almost gave up on this book halfway through. If I hadn't already read and loved a Gayle Forman book, I probably would have. But I wanted to see it through and find out what her plan was. And I shouldn't have doubted. The second half of the book was way better than the first, Allyson does some major growing and changing and her actions become something that I wanted to see from her, not something that made me cringe. I loved the new supproting characters from the second part as well and that cliffhanger was killer. I'm so glad I stuck it out with this book. I still didn't love it as much as the first two I read, but I'm much happier than I thought I would be. I'm very hopeful for the next one and can't wait to see what we'll learn about Willem. If you've started this book and aren't sure about finishing it, remember that this is a book about finding yourself, not a romance. The romance is a good (small) part of the book and the part of the book that starts a lot of the changes that will eventually come, but romance is not the main focus of this book. If that's what you're searching for, don't pick up this one. Wait until you are looking for a book with some life questions and soul searching. This would be the book for that. I'm giving this book 3.5 stars because the beginning was so hard to get through. Allyson was just so whiny, which was hard to stomach because she actually had a lot of great things in her life, I almost gave up on the book. Even though I did love some of the other parts, I can't overlook my feelings from the beginning and am averaging out those feelings with my end feelings for a middle of the road score. .Also, I just want to note that I listened to this one on audio and the narrator was fantastic. A few of the voices were annoying (particularly Allyson's roommate), but that happens in real life sometimes, so it happens on audiobooks as well. Overall, the performance was very good and I will definitely be looking into other books narrated by this reader.