The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between Us - Kasie West I loved this book, so much. I had high hopes because I read Pivot Point earlier this year and loved that one. Some of my favorite parts in Pivot Point were the moments between Addie and Trevor. It made me really excited to see what Kasie West would do with a straight up romance without the addition of the science-fiction. But I was a bit worried that this might not be the follow-up I was hoping for. In the end, it was so much better than I even hoped. If you loved Pivot Point or YA romances, read this book!I'm not entirely sure what it is about the way Kasie West writes, but it is awesome. It all flows so nicely, the characters are well developed, the dialogue is fresh and fun, and I always become emotionally involved. I really ended up loving Caymen and Xander. Watching their relationship develop from strangers to friends to lovers was so much fun. Caymen first sees Xander in her mother's doll shop that she works in and completely writes him off as an entitled, arrogant, rich-boy who thinks of no one but himself when he beckons her over with a wave of his arm. Xander is on an errand to pick up something from the doll shop when he's totally surprised by Caymen, the girl who works in the shop but gives him sarcastic answers to his questions instead of the ones he's expecting from an employee. After their first encounter, they discover the other isn't who they originally thought they were. Though they're coming from different places (Xander from a very rich family that owns a hotel chain and who is being groomed to take over from his father and Caymen from a very poor single mother who is trying to keep their heads above water with a doll shop that was hit hard by the recession), they find out that they both feel the same way: neither wants the future that seems to be laid in front of them. Xander doesn't want to run a hotel chain. Caymen doesn't want to stay at the doll shop. But neither can abandon their family. One of the funnest parts of the book comes next. The two set up a series of "dates" to try to find out exactly what the other should be doing instead. These were the moments where their relationship really developed.My most favorite part of this whole book was probably the dialogue between Caymen and Xander. Caymen was super sarcastic and let Xander know it. She didn't let him get away with anything and that was refreshing. We see so often characters in books that think one thing and then say something else. Caymen said what she wanted, no matter what.One thing in this book that was a little less than ideal was the twist near the end. I'm not going to give anything away, but I will say that it felt a little forced and unnatural for this book. Then the ending wrapped up nice and neat. It didn't really bother me because this is a fun, fast, YA romance but for others who might like more depth or a more realistic ending, this book might disappoint there a bit.Overall, I really loved this book. As a follow-up to Pivot Point, which I LOVED, it did not disappoint. Kasie West does an awesome job creating likable, realistic characters and situations that are unique . She also wrote some of my favorite dialogue that I've read in a while. If you're a fan of sarcasm, you'll like Caymen. If you're a fan of Stephanie Perkins or just love YA contemporary romances, I think you'll definitely love The Distance Between Us as well. This book is a fun, quick romance that is perfect for summer. So go check it out!