The Darkest Minds

The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken This was one of those books I'd been hearing a lot about and been looking forward to for a long time. I was nervous because I was definitely highly anticipating it and you know how that can go. High expectations equals more disappointment. I'm very happy to report that this one lived up to my expectations! I loved it! We follow Ruby in a future science-fiction/dystopian world where kids are dying from a disease and the kids who survive are taken to special camps that promise to "rehabilitate" them. Because the kids that survive the disease now have special powers they can't control. But the camps are not protecting and helping the kids. And Ruby is in danger. So she escapes. And joins up with another group of kids on the run looking for a safe place for kids like them known only as East River. Their journey is difficult and dangerous but also exciting. They form a bond that is almost unbreakable. I won't give anything away. I just want to say that I love this book, I loved these characters, and now my heart is broken. Both from the story and because I have to wait till December to get the next part of this story! If you are a fan of dystopian/paranormal stories, I wouldn't miss this one. It is long, almost 500 pages, but it reads quickly. I gave The Darkest Minds 5 stars.