Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky - I feel like I should be saying, "Why didn't anyone tell me about this book sooner?!" But I can't because everyone did tell me about this book! I was just the stupid one that never read it. Until now. Now I can finally say that I've read it and I understand why everyone is in love with it! I enjoyed this book so much. It's definitely moved onto the favorites shelf for me. I hope if you are a fan of dystopians, or YA romances, that you've either read this book or are planning on reading it soon.My favorite thing about this book, besides the romance, was Aria. She was a perfect female lead. She was strong, brave, smart, and willing to accept that she is wrong about some things. But she's also funny and kind and caring and loyal. She works hard when she needs to, even after coming from the Realms where almost no one does hard labor anymore, and she wants to learn how to survive when in the outside. She doesn't want to be helpless and she does everything she can to accomplish the goals she has and the promises that she's made. She wasn't a pushover or a brat or a know-it-all or extremely emotional or a damsel in distress or anything else annoying. She seemed real and well-rounded and I really enjoyed learning about her, following her story, seeing her change, and seeing her grow.My second favorite thing about this book was the romance. Ah, the romance. Oh, Perry. Two people who should never have met and fallen in love, but did. And they are so good together! Seriously though, the romance was done really well. It felt natural, not forced at all. Aria and Perry just gradually grew closer over the time they spent together, meaning more and more to each other and getting to know each other better. Sure they were spending time together under unnatural circumstances, but the progression of their relationship felt completely natural and real. Plus, Perry was so sweet with Aria. If you've read it then maybe you changed your mind about him around the same time I did. When he explained to Aria about how she wasn't dying, I thought I was going to die (both from embarrassment for Aria and for the sweetness of Perry). But holy cow, a man who would explain that to you, be happy about it, and help you deal with it is a keeper! (Though I did wonder why she was so confused by what was happening and also know exactly what it was as soon as he said it. But oh well.) I think the whole romance was developed very well. And I also now know why people talk about ALL THE FEELS with this book. Seriously, if you're looking for a YA book with a well-developed honest feeling romance, don't miss Under the Never Sky! Seriously.One little itty bitty part that annoyed me a tiny bit was the whole rendering thing. Why can't people just love people because they love them? Why does there always need to be something that connects a person to another? Can't people just want to protect each other and know each other and be with each other because they want to? Instead they have to be rendered or imprinted upon or one of many other explanations in YA literature. Although to be fair, rendering is much less creepy than imprinting to me. It basically just means that you now not only know what the person is feeling but you feel it to. It's just a deeper connection to someone else, not necessarily romantically, just more intuned to them than someone you aren't rendered to. What did you guys think about this part? I know it's just a nit-picky thing, but it also made me pause while reading so I could roll my eyes.Final Thoughts: I loved this book. I'm so glad I finally picked it up and gave it a chance. I was a little worried it would turn out like Divergent, a book everyone talks about and loves but that was just okay for me. But I'm happy to report it wasn't. I loved it. Plus, the characters are fantastic (even the secondary characters add a lot to the story), the romance is very satisfying ;-) , and the writing is beautiful. I felt so many emotions during this book I can't even begin to list them all. I highly recommend this book if you're a fan of YA dystopians or YA romances.