Level 2 (Memory Chronicles)

Level 2 - Lenore Appelhans In all honesty, this is the hardest review I’ve written to date. I’ve been thinking about what I’m going to say and how I’m going to rate this book for a while and I’m still not sure what it is I want to tell you about it. I’m going to try the just-start-typing approach and hope that by just going for it my thoughts will more easily spill out. I’ll go ahead and apologize ahead of time because I think this review will be a bit rambling and unfocused. But hopefully in the end you’ll understand a bit more why I’m having a hard time with it.In Level 2 we meet Felicia. She is dead and spending her afterlife stuck in a place called Level 2. She is not living, yet she has not yet passed on to the something more permanent. As far as I can tell, the drones in Level 2 (or at least Felicia) knows that Level 2 is not the final place for them, but they do not know what it is they need to do or wait for to be moved on. The drones pass their seemingly endless time in pods doing nothing in particular or in their individual chambers reliving memories (both their own and others' that they can rent). Nothing changes and the days run together. Until strange things start happening and Felicia seems to be the only one who can remember them. A fellow drone (and friend of Felicia’s) disappears. Then a boy shows up in their pod. More strange things happen and soon enough Felicia has become a part of the rebellion. The problem is that she doesn’t know who to trust or what she is rebelling against. All she wants to do is find the boy she loved before she died.What I think about most when I think about Level 2 is the frustration I felt while I was reading and the disappointment I felt when I was finished. I wanted to love this book and learn all about this new world. The premise for the book is so intriguing! But something definitely gets lost along the way. While we’re learning about the world that Felicia is now stuck in, somewhere in between life and whatever comes next, we’re constantly thrown back into her life through her memories. I understand that we need to learn about Felicia and her life in order to find some kind of connection to her, but the pacing and the interruptions of the memories just didn’t work for me. I wanted to know more about her new situation and understand who the rebellion was and what they were rebelling against. And in all honesty, Felicia’s memories did not endear me to her. The memories didn’t do what they were supposed to do and just ended up irritating me.One other thing that annoyed me a little bit was the ease in which Felicia’s problems were solved. She needed to be slowly weaned off the drug the drones are given in their chambers and she is. She needs pods to recharge while on the run and there is always one available. She wants to learn how to materialize items so she does. It’s that easy. And it shouldn’t be. There should be some struggles, some roadblocks in the story. Easy answers are irritating.About the characters, Felicia was just okay. She was a bit aggravating, both in the Level 2 world and in her memories. I never quite warmed up to her, mostly because of her actions in her memories. Neil was good, of course, as Felicia’s boyfriend. And Julian was horrible. I was not a fan. The characters in the rebellion were also not my favorite because I couldn’t get a really good feel on them. Most of the time I wondered what they really stood for and what exactly it was that they were trying to accomplish. Were they using Felicia or did they really want her help and to help her back? I wasn’t sure. And I don’t like not having a side to root for.As for the religion talk about this book, I just want to mention that it didn’t bother me that much. It may have been that I was more distracted by other aspects of the book, but I just didn’t care that much. I do think there is a lot of religious talk in the book, so if that bothers you, you should stay away. But with a book about the afterlife, I was kind of expecting it. In memories, the characters go to church and Sunday school and talk about not having sex and all of that stuff. In the afterlife there is talk about God, what comes after Level 2, and angels. If you are at all turned off by any of this, you should just leave this book alone. It will not be the one for you.Final Thoughts: This book was okay but mostly a disappointment. I hate calling books that, but this one was. The premise was so promising and unique and the book just didn’t follow through. Most of the time I was reading I was annoyed at the interruptions, annoyed at Felicia for her actions and the way she treated people, frustrated that I was so confused about everything (the rebellion, the set-up of Level 2, the Morati, etc.), and sad that it just wasn’t living up to my hopes for it. I’m not sure if I should recommend it or not. I think if you go in with lower expectations, you might enjoy it. I know that if religion bothers you in books, you should stay away. But as always, you should decide for yourself if you want to read it. There are many very positive reviews for this one out now as well. So you might love it. It just wasn't quite for me. I’m giving Level 2 two stars and classifying it as a disappointment.