In a Glass Grimmly (A Tale Dark & Grimm, #2)

In a Glass Grimmly (A Tale Dark & Grimm, #2) - Adam Gidwitz My Summary: Jack is a dreamer whose father wants him to grow up and be a man. Jill is a princess whose mother is only concerned with how beautiful they are. Both children are disappointments to their parents. But they are cousins who are also best friends and set out on an epic journey together that will change who they are and what they believe is important. They will outsmart giants, befriend an enormous salamander, run away from goblins, and face terrible power-hungry witches. But will they be able to find the most valuable hidden treasure all are seeking and the key to true happiness? Jack and Jill go on an incredible journey that will take them far from home and teach them some very important lessons.My Likes: I loved reading about Jack and Jill and all of the other fairy tale creatures we've known since childhood but haven't known the true stories. This is a perfect combination of dark and intense but also sweet. We get a taste of the fairy tales we know growing up alongside the twisted tales Gidwitz has created for us. We don't miss out on the friendships of the Disney-type tales nor the dark, sometimes gruesome, always twisted tales that were full of morals like the originals. I really love the transformations that both Jack and Jill go through during the book. If you want to read a book about two kids who grow up and learn how to be happy with themselves, this is it!My Dislikes: Nothing. This book was perfect for me. But I will say that this book does have some intense moments and its fair share of gore, so if your child is sensitive to that, I would either read the book first yourself to judge its appropriateness or skip it for now all together. I would not recommend it to kids under the age of ten, either way.Overall Feeling: I loved this book. And I absolutely love the cover. They are beautiful. This is how fairy tales were meant to be, dark, not always happily ever after, with important messages to learn. I also loved the writing style for the younger audience. Almost every gross, violent, or emotional part was preceded by some sort of warning or funny commentary from the author. It broke up the tension a little while still keeping the stories dark. My son is six and still a little young for this book, but I hope this'll be one we can read out-loud together when he gets a little older.I also want to mention that I haven't yet read A Tale Dark and Grim. In a Glass Grimmly is only a companion novel, not a sequel. So while I assume the style is similar, I don't actually know. All I know is that you can absolutely read In a Glass Grimmly without having read the previous book. Although, A Tale Dark and Grimm is definitely much higher up in my TBR pile now! I gave In a Glass Grimmly five stars.