Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe

Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe - Shelley Coriell *3.5 Stars*Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe is a quick, fun, light YA contemporary book that will leave the reader thinking about the people they care about and how change can sometimes be a good thing..In Welcome, Caller, we follow Chloe through the second half of her junior year of high school. All juniors attending her school must complete a project known as a JISP or Junior Independent Study Project. Chloe thinks her project on the villains of daytime soaps has already been approved, but on the first day back after winter break, she has a new counselor and a new project. She also needs to find her two best friends, who were MIA over break and have been acting weird ever since. Chloe needs to find out what the whispers that are following her around are all about, why her friends still can't be found, and why she, who is funny, bubbly, andloved by all, is now a social outcast. Along the way, she'll learn about herself, how to be a better friend, and find a few new things that are important to her.Welcome, Caller was one of those books that are fun and quick reads but don't have much meat to them. It makes a perfect book to read when you want a something light, like a filler in between those big heavy books or a sitting in the sun during the summer book. Chloe is the kind of character that wants to bring fun to everyone and help anyone who needs it so nothing ever really gets too dark. There is some minor conflict between some characters and a worthwhile plot but nothing that really brings the book down. It's not all laughing but it does end happily. It's just a nice book that will entertain you enough to keep you reading but not dark enough to bring down those sunny, happy days.I will admit that I wasn't completely in love with Chloe. I got a little bit tired of listening to her spout about how awesome she was. We get to hear how much she loves people, how much people love her, how she's always there for other people, how she's super funny, and awesome and everything. It got a bit old. I understood who she was early on and didn't need to be hit over the head with it throughout the book. But she does do some growing and learning during the book, so I could forgive her a little.Final Thoughts: Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe is a fun, quick book that will keep you reading. The supporting characters, including Duncan, Grams, Clementine, A. Lungren, and Brie and Merce, are all interesting with their different background stories that kept me wanting to learn more about them even when I wasn't a fan of Chloe. The plot is decent and engaging enough to feel important but not heavy. I definitely enjoyed Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe and gave it 3.5 stars. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a light, quick contemporary read.