Life After Theft

Life After Theft - Aprilynne Pike Life After Theft is my very first Aprilynne Pike book. I haven't yet read her Wings series, which I know a lot of people love, so I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. But I was definitely looking forward to it. I'd seen Aprilynne speak at a book tour I went to and she was very funny. So I had hopes that this book would include some witty dialogue and an interesting look at the afterlife. But in the end, I was a little disappointed. There was good dialogue and the book was definitely unique, it just didn't quite make the impact that I was hoping it would.In Life After Theft we meet Jeff. He's just moved to a new town with his parents and is attending a private school full of rich kids. It is a much different kind of life than he grew up with but the thing that surprises him most is seeing a girl that everyone else completely ignores. They all walk by her without a glance and he wonders why she is being treated that way. When he talks to her, she can hardly believe it. It turns out that everyone is ignoring her because she is dead and they can't see her. When he recovers from that shock, he comes to learn that during her life she was a kleptomaniac and stole from nearly every person at his new school, teachers included. She has decided that all of the stolen items need to be returned in order for her to be able to move on to whatever comes next and he agrees to help her, more in an attempt to be rid of her than anything else. The book follows Jeff and Kimberlee as they hatch plans to return the items to their owners and as Jeff attempts to fit into a new school while being the only one who can see and talk to a dead girl that had her fair share of enemies while she was alive.Right from the start of the book, I actually really liked Jeff. I'm always on the lookout for books told from a male POV, so this one really intrigued me. And his voice was very natural and realistic, so I was hooked. Also, the way he meets Kimberlee and learns that she is a ghost was actually funny. I definitely enjoyed the writing and the pacing and the snark in this book. It wasn't an entirely funny story, there are some serious parts the characters go through, but overall it's a cute, funny book.Unfortunately, there were a few things I didn't like about the book. Mainly, Kimberlee. She was a bitch. I had a hard time feeling any sympathy for her. In the end, I think she did learn something about being a good person but for most of the book she's a huge bitch to Jeff, who's helping her just to help her, and it's very easy to see why so many people hated her while she was alive. Also, I didn't feel any huge connection between Jeff and Sera, the girl he likes. I'm not sure why or what was really missing, I just didn't really feel strongly about their romance. But I was glad that there was no love triangle. I was worried the book was setting up for one, but Jeff and Kimberlee stay strictly in the friends zone.Final Thoughts: While Life After Theft doesn't have any real revelations about the afterlife or being a good person or anything really deep, it was an easy, funny, light read. The dialogue felt true to high schoolers, Jeff was a good MC, his parents are still married and around throughout the book, and the pacing is fast. On the other hand, I didn't fall in love with the romance like I had hoped, Kimberlee was difficult to connect with, and I didn't feel a lot of growth from the characters by the end of the book. I gave Life After Theft three stars and would recommend it as a good beach read or whenever you're looking for a quick, funny book.