Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher should be required reading for all high schoolers. Clay and Hannah attend the same school but didn't have much of a relationship. Hannah has a questionable reputation and Clay has a crush on her but is too scared of her reputation to do much about it. Then Hannah commits suicide and Clay finds a package with cassette tapes inside and instructions to listen to them all. On the tapes are what Hannah describes as her thirteen reasons for committing suicide. Clay must listen to the tapes to find out what part he played in her death. This book is told by both Clay, through his narrative, and Hannah, through her tapes. It is emotional, thought-provoking, and heartbreaking. But the messages are clear. Don't judge people by rumors you might hear because rumors are rarely true. If someone shows signs of needing help, then give it to them. If you are contemplating suicide, get help, it's not too late. As readers, we follow Hannah from the first tape to the last. We see her fall deeper and deeper into self-destruction. In the end, I didn't blame anyone but Hannah for her suicide. I think it was the same for her. And Clay must find a way to deal with what she left behind for him. Whether you like Thirteen Reasons Why or not, you will not be able to read this book without spending lots of time thinking about it. And that's what makes this book so great.