Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins I read Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins shortly after reading Anna and the French Kiss. I decided I could not get enough of Stephanie Perkins' writing and looked for more of it right away. Lola and the Boy Next Door is actually a companion novel to Anna. So not only do we get more of Stephanie Perkins, but we also get more of Anna and Etienne. Even so, there is way more to Lola and the Boy Next Door than just seeing more of the best YA romance couple ever. Lola offers her own greatness including two adoptive dads, an interest in fashion and the ability to make her own clothes, the great setting of San Francisco, and a mystery boy ex-neighbor who broke her heart and then returns to the scene. Like I said before, I'm kind of in love with Stephanie Perkins' writing. There isn't ever anything too deep in her books, not a lot of teenage drama, but it's still emotional enough that we really care for the characters and their troubles. The highlight in this book for me was the presence of two dads and the importance of family. Another great message of this book? The importance of putting yourself out there, being who you are, and knowing that perfect isn't real or good. Favorite quote: “I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.” If you haven't read Anna and the French Kiss, read it now, then come back and read Lola and the Boy Next Door. If you have, I can only assume that you loved it and have read this one as well. Also be on the lookout for Isla and the Happily Ever After from Stephanie Perkins coming out sometime next year.